What is an End of Life Doula?
An End of Life (EOL) Doula is an individual with compassion and care for the end of life process.
EOL Doula services include non-medical, holistic support and comfort to help individuals and families navigate the end of life process.
There are TWO roles that an EOL Doula performs for patients and families.
Early Preparation Coach & Transition Guide
Below is a list of services that may be included when hiring an EOL Doula.
Early Preparation Coach
Paperwork including but not limited to –
- Power of attorney
- Insurance (home, auto, life)
- Safety deposit box key & location
- Medical records, prescriptions, doctors, etc.
- Personal items distribution
- Important contacts
- Media/Digital passwords
- Life Review Process & Documentation
- Palliative Planning
- Hospital Advocacy
- Living Well Plan
For the Caregiver/Family including patient:
- Open conversations about what feels hard
- Incorporating rituals
- Planning for the active dying time and after death time
- Respite for Caregiver
- Help with non medical advice, someone to help process the medical information.
- Bereavement Support
For the Patient:
- Emotional Support/open conversations
- Hands on comfort, aromatherapy, music, etc.
- Sitting vigil